Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Good Day dear Readers,
Today I bring you a teen paranormal novel for your perusal.

In September of 2012, Maggie Stiefvater released her first book in a new series titled The Raven Boys. Stiefvater has become one of my favorite YA authors over the past few years. I loved her Shiver series and my all-time favorite is still The Scorpio Races.

What I liked about The Raven Boys: Stiefvater has a way of weaving mystery into her stories that keeps you having to turn the page. Nothing is ever quite what it seems. And this book keeps true to form, with many surprises along the way. Some things I never saw coming but made perfect sense once she revealed the hidden truths behind some of her characters. I did like all of her characters, though I felt Blue was just a little too passive for my taste.

What I didn't like so much: The story is told through several of the character's point of views. At first, the jumping around made it hard to get into the story, but I was hooked by the fifth chapter. Also, this book went a little too far into the occult for my taste. I don't mind fantasy-type paranormal which I know is not real, but not books dealing with divination and witchcraft. So, that was a big turn off for me.

Not sure I'll continue reading this series, but will definitely keep my eyes open for any other series Stiefvater comes out with. Her writing has an even flow which slips you into her story worlds with vivid characters that come alive for the reader.

Happy Reading,
The Queen



Book Title: The Raven Boys
Author: Maggie Stiefvater                                                                                




Book Information:

Publisher and date: Scholastic Press; First Edition edition (September 18, 2012)
Reading level:12 and up
Book Info: Hardcover: 416 pages
Genre: YA Fantasy
ISBN-13: 978-0545424929


Book Theme:
Supernatural suspense, mystery, quest, psychics




Book Summary from Amazon
"There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark's Eve," Neeve said. "Either you're his true love . . . or you killed him."

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.
Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them-not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.
His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.
But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can't entirely explain. He has it all-family money, good looks, devoted friends-but he's looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys:


Authors Arena


Maggie Stiefvater
After a tumultuous past as a history major, calligraphy instructor, wedding musician, technical editor, and equestrian artist, I'm now a full-time writer living in the middle of nowhere, Virginia, with my charmingly straight-laced husband, two kids, four neurotic dogs who fart recreationally, and a 1973 Camaro named Loki.
I'm also an award-winning colored pencil artist, play several musical instruments (most infamously, the bagpipes), and recently acquired a race car.

View Maggie Stiefvater's expansive website for more information about her books:


No comments: