Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Wizardry Writing Wednesdays - Dirkus on Storytelling

Hello! Dirkus here once again. I get to play with all of you until the end of this month. My big brother Rankus found out Wiz Lex let me take over his writing lessons and he wants a turn next. Big fire breathing baby lizard.

Ah well, I guess it's only fair. He knows more about writing anyway as he's in the fourth grade. But I'll tell you now, he's a big know-it-all.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

But on to today's fun stuffs. Wiz Lex says once we learn how to write, then we can start learning how to be great scribes like himself and master the art of storytelling. Well, I'm still too little to write out the really awesome-wasom stories I can come up with, (especially when I'm in big trouble). However, I know that even when telling a tall tale, you have to get your story straight.

That means learning about beginning, middle and end.
Every story has one. Do you know how Wiz Lex taught me about the BME? (that's code for Beginning, middle and end, duh.)

Well, I'm going to tell you about a couple of fun things we did.

 First, he wanted me to learn about sequins... uh no, that's not right. Wait, let me think a minute...
Oh, I remember:

Sequencing:
We took the comics out of the weekend paper that the Queen gets delivered. She only insists that I let her read them before I take them. Guess that's fair.

Now the fun part comes. I get to use my scissors and cut apart each box in a comic strip. Then Wiz Lex mixes them up and I get to put them back in the right order. He tells me that if the boxes are mixed up, then the story no longer makes sense. I've read them out of order and guess what? He's right.

Sometimes, Wiz Lex makes it really challenging, and he tells me to fill in the words of the characters. I can write a little, so I try. But usually I'm best at saying the story out loud and he will write it so I can see my words in print. 

I can come up with some crrrr-azy stories!


So, I get that all stories have to have a beginning, a middle and an end. And once I get bored with making sequins out of comic strips... uh, you know what I mean, I get to move on to for really real story telling.

Sometimes the frogs like to get in on this fun. We all create puppets. Some are made from socks, or paper bags, paper plates and some are drawn figures glued on a stick. We've even made a puppet stage out of the Queen's sheets!
(That's another one of those little secrets between me and you, kay?)

Then Wiz Lex guides us with questioning through the beginning, middle, and end of the plot line. Lots of times he rereads our favorite stories to us and then will ask these kinds of questions:
"What is going on at first?"
"What kind of problem does the knight run into?"
"Then what happens?"
"How does the knight solve his problem in the end?"

Then, we get to act out the story using our puppets. It's awesome-wasom fun!!

Now, you go try it.
Later gators,

1 comment:

Eric VanRaepenbusch said...

Cool idea to cut up comic strips!