Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Wizardy Writing Wednesdays - Dirkus' Advice for Pre-Writers

Good Wednesday, dear writer friends.
Wizard Lexiconi here to introduce one of my young writing apprentices, Dirkus the dragon. He is here to speak to our younger, emergent writers:  preschoolers. He wishes to present beginner writing adventures sure to get your future scribe ready to write! 

Happy Writing, friends.
Let your imagination weave some wacky tales.
Wiz. Lexiconi, Sr. Mage 1st class: Fabulist extraordinaire.


____>*<____

Hello writers. I'm Dirkus and Wizard Lex is letting me tell you about how I learned to write! I'm so proud of myself. I can write my name, but not on the castle walls. The Queen gets really, really and I mean really, mad about marker on her stone walls. I thought I'd done good with making my big D's. But she wasn't impressed. 



Anyway, it took me awhile to learn how to write my first D. Firstest, I had to learn how to make straight lines. And Mamma brought me papers with dotted lines that I traced. Once I could keep my pencil on the dotted line, she told me to start drawing lined from one object to another. And I did!

I drew a line from a picture of me to Mamma. I used sticks to draw lines in the dirt from one rock to another. From bugs to plants, from Wizard Lex to the frog pond, and I was making a straight crayon line from my house up to the Queens throne room and that's when she got mad. But enough about that.

After I learned straight lines, then I got to learn squiggly and round lines. I traced plates, and cups and my brother's long, wavy tail. And he only complained a little about marker on his spikes. Oh, please, it washed off.

Once I was a master drawer of straight and bended lines, then Wizard Lex decided it was time for me to learn to write my name!! 

Firstest he had me glue beans and seeds and tiny rocks to my name. I made some really cool artwork with my name too. I traced the letters D-I-R-K-U-S with colored markers and with crayons and paints and I even had all of Wizard Lex's frogs line up so they spelled my name. That was so AWESOME!!

I was making my name every, every, every where. On my lesson binders, on my papers, on back of the Queen's throne (but shhhhh, don't tell her. kay?) 

And now that I can write my name, and I know all the letters in the alphabet that spell my name, I now want to learn how to write everyone's name. And once I can write everyone's name, then I should know almost all of my alphabet. 

Later gators... uh, writer people. 


No comments: