Monday, February 20, 2012

Naamah and the Ark at Night by

Hello, dear readers.
The Queen here with a delightful book that puts a spin on a long standing Bible story. Naamah and the Ark at Night offers the point of view of Noah's wife as she calms the animals with song during the long nights of the flood. Check out the Activity Adventure sections for some fun ideas to expand this story.

Happy Reading,
The Queen



Book Title: Naamah and the Ark at Night
Author: Susan Campbell Bartoletti                                                                                                             
Illustrator: Holly Meade
Book Information:
Publisher and date: Candlewick (August 9, 2011)
Reading level: Ages 4 and up
Book Info: Hardcover: 32 pages
Genre: Children's picture book
ISBN: 978-0763642426


Awards:
1. Charlotte Zolotow Honor Book
2. Horn Book Fanfare, The
3. Kirkus Reviews - Best Children's Books of the Year






Book Theme:
Noah's Ark, Family, Bible Stories with a new twist

Book Summary from Amazon.com
As Noah’s wife sings the animals to sleep, an age-old tale is told afresh in a soothing poetic form brought to life with beautiful collage illustrations.

Naamah is the wife of Noah, and her name means "great singer." For forty days and forty nights, as the ark tosses on storm-wracked seas, Naamah sings. She sings to the animals, two by two. She sings to her husband, her sons, and their wives. She sings, and they all sleep, finally at peace. Acclaimed author Susan Campbell Bartoletti’s rhythmic, lyrical text pairs with Caldecott Honor winner Holly Meade’s luminous collage for a cozy, tender lullaby, and an ode to the power of song.


Activity Adventures:

Young Readers:

Crafty Ideas:
Paper Plate Noah's Ark.
Ark cut out. Print or cut animal pictures from magazines to glue inside. Craft suggest using animal cookies.

Older Readers:
Discussion Questions:
This story provides a different perspective on the familiar story of Noah's Ark. Discuss some of the undocumented things that might have happened on the ark. Think about it. What might have Noah's family done to stay entertained. How did they keep the animals calm? What are things you do when stuck inside during long times of bad weather? Imagine if your home was filled with hundreds of animals. What do you think it would be like?

Writing Prompts:
Make up your own story about something that might have happened on the ark. 
Use Ark cutout to make a book with.

Authors Arena

Bartoletti has written many books, both fiction and non-fiction, and poems. She has also won many awards. Click on her name for a peek at her website where you can find more information.

From her biography I took these couple of paragraphs because I found how she got her start interesting:

Although I have always loved to read, I had no idea I was going to be a writer when I grew up. In school, I liked art class best. In college, I filled my schedule with literature classes. I took a creative writing class where I wrote short stories and poetry for the first time. I interned as a journalist at a local newspaper. These experiences fueled a desire to write my own stories.

But within days of graduation, I was offered a job teaching eighth-grade English, and I accepted. I never thought I’d stay, but I did. For the next eighteen years, I taught eighth grade.

My students wrote poems, stories, and essays. They researched, wrote, and illustrated their own nonfiction picture books. They held poetry readings. It felt good to see my students grow as writers. They inspired me to practice what I preached. I joined a writer’s group and got serious about my own writing. I credit my students with helping me find my voice and my audience — and a passionate research interest that would lead to the writing of award-winning nonfiction books for young readers.

Just because you are young doesn't mean you have no influence over those who are older than you. 


Illustrator: Holly Meade - Taken from Candlewick Press
Holly Meade's unique style has proved ideal to illuminate a wide range of picture books.

When Holly Meade creates collages to illustrate children's books, she begins the process with research, a lot of thought--and many, many drawings. Then she covers sheets of paper with washes of watercolor and sometimes stamps on patterns. Finally, she cuts shapes from the paper and arranges and adheres them using the working sketch as a guide. "The making of these pictures is difficult," the artist says, "but more like serious play than serious work."

After graduating from Rhode Island School of Design, Holly Meade worked as an art teacher and graphic designer before embarking on a career illustrating children's books. She also enjoys making woodcuts, sewing, bike-riding, cross-country skiing, and jazz dance. A long-time New Englander, she lives in Sedgwick, ME.

 Check out the interview with Meade over at Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast

No comments: