Friday, January 20, 2012

What Is Your Dog Doing? by Marilyn Singer

Good Friday dear readers,
Today the Queen has a book for pet lovers and lovers of pets. What Is Your Dog Doing by Marilyn Singer and illustrated by Kathleen Habbley. You'll learn all the wonderful things a dog can do. And their talents far extend the mundane sit, lay down and roll over. Check out the book from your local library or favorite bookstore and learn about some of the fun things a dog can do.



This week, I'm participating in the Perfect Picture Book Fridays over at Susanna Leonard Hill's site. Susanna is a former teacher, mom and lover of books. (Aren't we all?) Skip on over there after you've had your browsing time and take a look around at the wonderful books she is featuring and things she is doing.

But for now, I wish to present to you, this weeks dog-gone great read: 

Book Title: What is Your Dog Doing?
Author: Marilyn Singer                                                                                                   
Illustrator: Kathleen Habbley

Book Information:
Publisher and date: Atheneum Books for Young Readers (June 7, 2011)
Reading level: preschool +
Book Info: Hardcover: 32 pages
Genre: Picture book
ISBN: 978-1416979319


Book Theme:
Dogs, play, pets

Book Summary: from Amazon.com
This colorful, young read-aloud about all things canine is doggone fun. Woof! Sit. Stay. Roll Over. Sure, those are the classics—but dogs can do so much more! Sledding. Shedding. Inspecting. Protecting. Paddling laps. Dancing? Perhaps! Be it a working dog or a playing dog, man’s best friend can be pretty darn busy. This energetic, rhyming text paired with vibrant, playful illustrations is sure to get dog lovers everywhere eager to teach their old dogs some new tricks.



Activity Adventures:

Young Readers:
What is your dog doing?
Don't have a dog? What about a cat? Hamster? Gold fish?
Even if you don't have any pets, draw a picture of the kind of pet you might like to have. Now write a short story about your pet or dream pet.

Older Readers:
Research a famous dogs or other kind of pet and write a report about them. Answer these questions?
What's the name of your famous pet?
Where do they live and when did they live there?
What type of pet or breed was it?
What made this animal famous?

You can come up with a few more questions of your own to cover.
Some famous pets you can pick from: The presidents dogs, famous race horses, sea animals, ect. Balto, Seabiscuit, Lassie, or even Garfield.
Crafty Ideas:
If you do have a pet, create a scrapbook of things you and your pet do together. Take pictures. Post them in the book and write a sentence about what you are doing.

Look at the Activities with Dogs page to find fun places and things to do with your dog.





Authors Arena

Marilyn Singer was born in the Bronx (New York City) on October 3, 1948 and lived most of her early life in N. Massapequa (Long Island), NY. She attended Queens College, City University of New York, and for her junior year, Reading University, England. She holds a B.A. in English from Queens and an M.A. in Communications from New York University.

In 1974, after teaching English in New York City high schools for several years, she began to write - initially film notes, catalogues, teacher's guides, and film strips. Then, one day, when she was sitting in the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, she penned a story featuring talking insect characters she'd made up when she was eight. Encouraged by the responses she got, she wrote more stories, and in 1976, her first book, The Dog Who Insisted He Wasn't, was published by E.P.Dutton & Co.

Since then, Marilyn has published over eighty books for children and young adults. Her genres are many and varied, including realistic novels, fantasies, non-fiction, fairy tales, picture books, mysteries and poetry. She likes writing many different kinds of books because it's challenging and it keeps her from getting bored. 



Illustrator: Kathleen Habbley
Kathleen Habble lives and works in Wheaton, Illinois. When she isn't doodling editorial and commercial work, she's at her local animal shelter doing "dog research"—and helping out. 

Some of her work has appeared in Teen Vogue, Nickelodeon, and other magazines. This is her first picture book.

Check out more of her work on her website. 

16 comments:

Patricia T. said...

Jackie,
You are right -- this sounds like a dog-gone good read! I have a poodle, I know is way smarter than I am and I can almost hear him talking to me. He knows things before I do, and he is so much fun to be around. This book appeals to both kids and adults alike. Great selection.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Jackie - thanks so much for joining us this week and for this great selection! If you've been over to my blog much at all, you know I'm a total dog lover :) so I love your choice! I also really like the additional information about author and illustrator - how interesting! and I love the activities you though up. I'm so pleased to be adding this to our list :)

thiskidreviewsbooks.com said...

This sounds like a fun book! We don't have a dog right now (mine passed away last year). Hopefully we'll get another one soon! We do have a chinchilla ;) Great choice!

Beth said...

This is the author of _Mirror, Mirror_, one of our favorite books of last year. We now grab everything by her that we see.

Joanna said...

I am a sucker for animal books and Marilyn Singer's work, so I love your choice. I also appreciated your activity ideas. Thank you Ma'am!

Amy said...

I have a weakness for dog picture books, and this looks wonderful! Thanks for the review - I'm definitely going to track down a copy!

Jackie Castle said...

Glad you stopped by Patricia.
I have a dog too, and think you are right. They are wonderful little friends.

Jackie Castle said...

Hope you do, Amy.

Jackie Castle said...

Thanks Susanna,
I'm so glad I found your site. It's a real treasure cove of great reads for parents and teachers looking for specific literature.

Jackie Castle said...

Just want to thank all of you who've stopped by. Hope you find something useful to help young readers find a love for books. And pets! My mom always let me have a dog while growing up. She believed every child needed the experience of caring for something besides themselves and I have always let my kids have dogs as well. I think she was right. =)

Stacy S. Jensen said...

This sounds like a fun book for my toddler, but I might need to review the dog activities before reading it to him. He like to imitate things now. He and the dogs get in enough trouble without fresh ideas.

Jennifer Lee Young said...

Thanks for sharing this cute book with us and the fun activites!!! Love the cover, probably because he reminds me of my childhood pup. :)

JenFW said...

I love pairing books with related activities. I want to start doing more of this myself. Thanks for the suggestions.

Loni Edwards said...

This sounds like such a cute book. I loved the activities! Dogs are the best (shhh don't tell my cat!). Great review!

Renee LaTulippe said...

What a sweet book! Loved your activity suggestions. Welcome to PPBF!

Eric VanRaepenbusch said...

I love Marilyn Singer's books. I have celebrated her birthday in the classroom and with my own family for my blog. She is a great talent. I wish more people knew about her books. Glad to see that you featured her book.

I am now subscribed to your blog through email. Looking forward to more posts!