Saturday, July 30, 2011

When You're Not Sure About What They Read

Good Day, Dear Reader Friends.
The Queen here wondering about book choices for young children. How do you decide what is acceptable to read, and what isn't. Perhaps you peruse review sites looking for what others think about a book before you'll allow your little ones to glace at the book cover. Or maybe you are comfortable letting your little bookworms pick and choose as they please.


I've often struggled with this issue myself. Back when the Harry Potter books first came out, I head all sorts of warnings and suggestions to keep the kids away from these books. Yet, the popularity grew and they were stocked in the school libraries and I knew if my kids wanted to read them, they could get them easily. Finally, I read them myself.

And I fell in love with the books. Now I'm more of a fan than they are. Go figure.

The same thing happened with the Princess when she came across the Twilight books. I looked at them with great trepidation at first. Vampires. Oh please.

Yet, again, I knew she could get the books easily and read them on the sly if she really wanted to. And she really did want to read them. So I got US a copy and we read them together.

The result: Lots of discussion about falling in love, making a person so important they just about become your god. And loosing yourself to another when you try to be like him.

What Parent's Are Doing:
I've heard from parents who are strict and watch everything their children read. They check the reviews and even read the books themselves when they can. I've talked to other parents who let their children make the choices, believing that if a child chooses it, then they are more likely to read and enjoy it. Everyone has to do what best fits their family.


What You Can Be Doing:
I think, friends, that it's important to be involved with your child's reading.
I believe it's important to read what your child reads so you will know what is going into their minds.
I encourage all parents to be open, but honest with what their children read. If there are some bad influences, use those topics for lively discussions.

In the Wimpy Kid books, I have a few issues with the main character Greg. Some of his character traits aren't so amiable. He's quick to throw his friends under the bus. He's a slacker and he's quite selfish. However, he does learn in the end. Some.

Instead of telling my little Prince that he can't read these books, which I get a real chuckle out of, as well, I use them to point out things about friendship, honesty, and what happens when you try to think only of yourself.


Teaching Our Kids To Read Wisely:
The most important key is to teach your kids when to close the book themselves.

We want our children to make wise choices about what they read. We don’t want them to be afraid of books, but to choose wisely and think intelligently about what they read. I always tell my kids, there are thousands upon thousands of books out there waiting to be read. If one makes you feel bad, or doesn’t meet up to your standard, toss it and go on to the next. Don’t miss out on the really great reads by wasting your time with something that doesn’t appeal to you.

Same goes for dragons. But that's another issue.

Happy Reading.
The Queen


2 comments:

The Book Chook said...

I think your philosophy and mine are pretty close. It used to drive me crazy when my son would choose supermarket books for read-alouds and I had to put all my enthusiasm into reading to him. I guess I wasn't being transparently honest with him, but I wanted him to feel as if he had ownership over his book choices. Even if I found them dull as ditchwater!

Jackie Castle said...

I had the same problem with Captain Underpants. lol. However, I do always laugh at the Flip-o-rama action scenes in the books.