Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Books Aplenty! Some Interesting Reads

Good day loyal subjects. The Queen here with a few books for you to consider. Remember, I do not review books at The Castle Library, however, there are some books I've read that I very much enjoyed, however, I was unable to come up with enough activities to do a weekly feature.


My peculiar pooch, Ginger, doesn't get the same thrill with reading that I do. Actually, I think she was upset that I cluttered up her nap space.


_________________________________________________________


Bobby the Brave - Sometimes: 
Sometimes, it's hard to stand up to people you care about, and that's what this delightful book was all about. There is one other book about Bobby before this one, and author Lisa Yee has plans to write a book for each month of Bobby's fourth grade year.

This particular book dealt with facing your fears.

For people looking for books that have bi-racial characters, that have real issues to deal with, these book might be worth looking into. Bobby struggles with having asthma and I love how she has him explain to his class what it's like to live with asthma.






Queen of the Falls
Chris Van Allsburg has done it again in Queen of the Falls.
Do you love biographies? Here's one fantastic tale of Anne Edson Taylor, a retired 62 year old charm school instructor who seeks fame and fortune by going over the Niagara Falls in a wooden barrel.

It's true. And it really happened at the turn of the 19th century.

Unfortunately, things didn't quiet work out as Taylor planned, but you can read the book to see what happened.

And if you are interested in lesson activities to go along with this book, you can find one here at Effective Teaching Articles.



The Danger Box;
I just finished reading The Danger Box by Blue Balliett.

I had no idea Darwin had missing notebooks. I had no idea he was a list maker and that he never felt like he fit in. There's a lot of things I didn't know about Darwin, that Zoomy ends up finding out when a mysterious box shows up in his small town.

Zoomy has trouble dealing with an unsure world. He's also legally blind and has to look at things so close, he sees thing that others often never see.

Listen to this video by the author Blue Balliett.




Well, that's all the reading highlight I have for now, good readers. I hope you'll check out some of these books. If you click the box links, I get a small percentage of the sales from Amazon that will help with running The Castle Library.

Thank You!
The Queen


No comments: